An internet telephone. As simple as an instant messenger. Gizmo5 uses your internet connection (broadband or dial-up) to make calls to other computers. With the click of a mouse, you’re connected to friends, family, and colleagues anywhere on earth. It’s just that simple. You talk clearly. For as long as you want. For free. And with inexpensive add-ons like CallIn and CallOut, you can talk to any telephone–mobile or landline–on the planet. Any phone? Yes. Download Gizmo5, and suddenly it all clicks–some calls are better online.
Gizmo5 is the name of a peer-to-peer VoIP network and of a proprietary freeware soft phone for that network. Gizmo5 was founded by Michael Robertson. Unlike its competitor network Skype, the Gizmo5 network uses open standards for call management, the Session Initiation Protocol and Jabber. But it uses several proprietary codecs, and like Skype, the Gizmo5 client is proprietary/closed source software. The Gizmo5 is run by the company SIPphone.
Since the Gizmo5 is based on the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), it can interoperate with other SIP-based networks directly, although some data will always be routed via central SIPphone-servers, making it less than ideal in these settings from a privacy and security perspective. This avoids the phone system and is thus free of charge. Gizmo also will use encryption (SRTP) for Gizmo to Gizmo calls and works well with Phil Zimmermann's new Zfone secure add on.
The Gizmo5 software also has features that Skype lacks (or offers at an additional fee), such as interoperability with other systems/services via the SIP standard, built-in recording, and free voicemail. Gizmo also allows paid members of LiveJournal to make 'voiceposts' if they are unable to use the voicepost telephone lines provided by the website.
Unlike many of its competitors, Gizmo supports outbound caller ID in the United States, where people commonly reject incoming calls from unknown numbers. Skype and most other VoIP services seem to lack this feature.
Gizmo5 also works on your mobile phone. IM, make cheap calls, and share files by installing Gizmo5 Mobile.
• Call Gizmo5 Members for Free. Any call to a Gizmo5 user is free. No matter when, no matter where, no matter how long. Free. There's no monthly service charge. Nor is there a set up cost. Gizmo5 is free.
• Save Big on Calling to Phones. Save up to 98% on calling to mobile and landline phones anywhere in the world. Rates start at 1.9 cents a minute and your account can be used to save money when calling from your computer or mobile phone.
• Aim Yahoo MsnInstant Messaging(IM). Chat with AIM and MSN buddies directly from Gizmo5. You can now add your AOL Instant Messenger and MSN Messenger buddies to Gizmo5 with a few easy steps.
• New Two-way Text Messaging (Beta). Send SMS messages directly from your Gizmo5 account. Your friends can reply directly to your messages and you'll receive their reply right in Gizmo5.
• NewGroup Chat. Gizmo5 now allows you to create and join group chats, this way you can participate in several conversations at the same time.
• Free Voicemail. Record your own outgoing voicemail messages. (So when people call you, and you don't answer, they will hear your voice, instead of a generic message)
• Call Recording. Gizmo5 can record calls. This makes it easy to save conversations and create podcasts with anyone in the world for free.
• NewChat History. Chat history allows you to save all your past IM conversations. In the Chat History window you can click on a contacts name and see all your previous chats with that person listed by date. IM chats often contain important information and now it's easily accessible.
• NewCustom Avatars. Customize your avatar by picking a personalized graphic. Your avatar is the picture used to represent yourself in Gizmo5.
• NewGizmo5 users can now exchange files! Gizmo5 now supports file transfers via the Jabber protocol. This means users can now exchange files with anyone using a jabber client!
• New Video Calling. Gizmo5 now supports video calling. Now you can see and talk to friends and family from all over the world, anytime you want, and it's absolutely free!
• NewFree Mobile phone and Landline Conference Calling. The Gizmo5 network provides a free conference calling system. Using FreeConferenceCallTM you can conduct a conference call between mobile phones, landlines, and Gizmo5 users.
• Google Talk. Have friends on Google Talk? It's easy to add them to your Gizmo5 phonebook.
Latest Changes in Gizmo Project
Homepage - http://www.gizmoproject.com
- Size: 13.71 MB
- Download here